Letter/update March 19th 2020 – All Parents & Students
From the outset, can I say that the current situation is unprecedented as we all adjust to this new reality. I have no doubt that this new reality is presenting lots of different and difficult stresses in all of our households. As we navigate this changed reality please be assured that our management team and staff would like to help your son/daughter in whatever way we can to lessen these stresses.
What is required at this time is that we provide as much continuity and Support for our students and their education as is possible. Equally it is extremely important that a routine is established in your home to support student engagement in their learning.
As a school, for many years we have been using Google Classroom and have had a deliberate focus on integrating technologies in the learning process. All of our teachers are working through Google Classroom and via email to provide and assess work in each subject area.
To make this successful we need your support. We would be grateful if you would support this work by encouraging your child / children to engage with the work provided. Google Classroom can be accessed through the link on our website www.cco.ie or via the links shared by the teachers with your son/daughter. Students should expect to see work posted for each of their subjects throughout the week. If students have any issue accessing Google Classroom, please let us know so that we can help. Our teachers will be working hard to innovate and ensure that student learning and engagement continues. You can support this by stressing the importance of engagement to your son/daughter and creating the time, space and routine to ensure that students engage in their learning. Google classroom is accessible and workable from any connected device from a smartphone, tablet, laptop and PC. I have attached a very simple guide to Google Classroom for your information, students are very familiar with this learning platform.
Here is some advice for students, it might guide you in your discussions.
Advice for students
- Your teachers have provided you with a detailed programme of work, online, for the next few weeks. Students should access lesson materials through their google drive, accessible through their student school email address.
- Prepare a dedicated space that you will use for class work/study over the next few weeks.
- The class work/study space should have good light and ventilation where possible.
- Organise a suitable desk/table, chair and internet connected device (iPad, laptop, pc etc…) in the study space.
- Arrange your notes, school materials (books, pens, copies…) so that they are easily accessible.
- Follow your school timetable each day.
- Create a study/work timetable.
- List the goals you want to achieve each day (educational outcomes for each subject every day).
- Test yourself and correct your tests using your notes, link with your teachers.
- At the end of each day, Note the positive outcomes of the day and note the improvements that you can make in your study plan.
- Take regular breaks.
- Eat well, stay well hydrated, exercise and rest.
- Be positive. You will make great progress if you follow your plan.
As of this morning, it is important to point out that we have had no update from the State Examinations Commission in relation to the Leaving Cert and Junior Cycle examinations or the Oral or Practical Exams. I am sure something will issue very soon in relation to this pressing topic and as soon as any information comes our way, we will let you know.
Throughout this period of school closure, we will be posting updates to our school website www.cco.ie and we will also use social media and email to communicate as required.
Please note, our Guidance and Counselling Team have published a website dedicated to supporting students and parents throughout this period. There is a link to this site on our school website. Here is a direct link: https://sites.google.com/cco.ie/guidance/home
In relation to Covid-19 and on advice from the Chief Medical Officer, our students need to be extremely mindful of social distancing. Social distancing is important to help slow the spread of coronavirus. It does this by minimising contact between potentially infected individuals and healthy individuals. We are pleading with parents not to allow their sons/daughters congregate with others in groups, as doing so will only escalate the spread of this virus. Some other things our students can do:
- Reduce your social contacts – see only a handful of people in your immediate family network
- Distance yourself two metres from people in shops and supermarkets
- Stop shaking hands or hugging when you say hello
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Wash your hands regularly and practise cough and sneeze hygiene
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
7.Do not allow sleepovers or have friends visit you over the next 14 days.
If we all try to stick to these recommendations, we can slow down the spread and will be able to return to our normal lives much quicker.
The current period of school closure will present many challenges for all of us.
If you have queries, suggestions or have any issues that we can assist you with just ask. Likewise, If you have particular issues relating to device or hardware access for your son/daughter please let me know, while it is not feasible for us to provide device access for all students, it may be possible for us to provide some support in certain circumstances.
As always, please be assured that we are working as hard as we can to ensure continuity of education and systems of support for our students.
As a parent you can assist in the current situation by establishing a routine, supporting student learning and reinforcing the importance of social distancing. If you have suggestions or feel there is more that can be done, please email me.
Keep up to date by visiting our school website: www.cco.ie
Thanking you for your continued support
Le Meas Buan
Gerard O’Sullivan – Principal
Coláiste Chiaráin, Croom, Co. Limerick. Roll No: 71840V
News - School Updates
In addition to our school website, please follow our school updates and activities on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
High Street, Croom, Co. Limerick
Tel: +00 353 61 397700
The contents of Coláiste Chiaráin's web pages are provided as an information guide only.