Dear Parents and Students,
We hope you find this section of the website a useful resource over the coming months. We are using this hub for all ‘Return to School’ related information. All details pertaining to Coronavirus updates and control measures we have implemented can also be found below. Please also see the FAQ section for further details.
Coláiste Chiaráin - School Related FAQ
FAQ Clarifications below. Please note, this section will be updated regularly. Any further queries, clarifications or suggestions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and Safety Measures
Knowing the Symptoms of COVID-19
In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it is important to know and recognise the symptoms.
- high temperature
- shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
- loss of smell, of taste or distortion of taste
If your child/children complain of any of these symptoms, please keep your child/children at home and call your GP without delay. In the event that you have more that one child attending Coláiste Chiaráin; if any of your children display symptoms, we are requesting that all siblings remain at home pending the outcome of consultation with your GP and/or COVID testing.
- If a student has been abroad prior to returning to school (i.e. within 14 days), we are asking that they ensure they remain in isolation for 14 consecutive days prior to returning to school. If your child/children have been abroad prior to school resuming, we would appreciate a call from you about this.
- Students will be encouraged and expected to follow the health advice regarding hand sanitation, respiratory etiquette, etc. Requirements in this regard will be clearly communicated to all students from the beginning of the year.
- An Isolation Room will be available in the school should a member of the School Community become ill. It is vital that all Parents/Guardians have registered the correct contact details with the school. If in doubt, contact the school office immediately on 061-397700 or email email@example.com
- Hand sanitiser dispensers will be deployed in every teaching space, assembly areas and entry points of the school campus. All students will be required to use hand sanitiser when entering the campus in the morning and when entering every teaching space throughout the school day.
- Wash hand basins, hot running water, liquid soap and hand drying facilities are provided in all toilets and kitchens.
Coming To and From School
As per government regulations all students travelling on school transport will be required to wear a facemask, sit next to siblings or remain seated next to the same individual for the remainder of the term.
Bus companies will be communicated with in advance of reopening on the following:
Buses will be required to park in an unloading bay in the mornings – On arrival to the school students will be required to remain on the bus until students in front of them have safely entered the school building.
To alleviate overcrowding in the evenings leaving the school to get on buses, there will be 2 bells, one to signal the end of school for Juniors (3:40) and a second for seniors (3:45).
All schools are encouraging students to walk or cycle to school if they can do so. Parents/guardians are required to observe and respect all social distancing protocols in relation to any contact with the school. This includes maintaining a two-metre distance to other families when dropping off or collecting their children from the school and any contact with the school.
When students arrive at school, they should proceed directly to their base classroom which will be assigned to them once they return to school. Students should not congregate in groups close to one another. Assigned entrances and exits will be given to all year groups when they return.
Students will be asked to adhere to queue management protocols in the mornings when entering the school building. Physical distancing signage will be used to indicate 2m distancing.
Dropoff and Collection of Students
To minimise traffic congestion we are asking that students who are driven to school by car be dropped and collected from the school gates. There are two footpaths into the school to facilitate ease of access and adhere to physically distancing.
School Transport advice from Bus Eireann
The following advice has been issued by Bus Éireann:
- A student is not to use school transport if they are displaying symptoms
- Students are to maintain physical distancing while waiting for transport
- Students are asked to sit in pre-assigned seating and next to a sibling or child from their class group (this should be the same child at all times)
- Students are requested to use hand sanitiser onboarding the bus
- Students should observe respiratory etiquette at all times while waiting for and on-board transport services
- To disembark the bus one by one in an orderly fashion
- With the exception of those children who for medical or special educational needs reasons are not in a position to wear a face mask or face covering, all other students travelling on the post-primary scheme are required to wear face coverings while waiting for and on-board transport services.
To minimise the congregation of students when disembarking from buses in the mornings. We will be agreeing on a protocol with Bus Eireann that will reduce large numbers of students queuing at the front door of the school at any one time. This will require the cooperation of students as there may be delays as they disembark buses in the morning.
All of these measures will be explained in detail to all students upon return to school.
Visiting the School / Appointments
School personnel will not be in a position to meet parents on a one to one basis during this Academic year (As per Guideline, July 2020) unless it is essential and by prior appointment. All such requests and appointments must be made through the school office 061-397700, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All visitors to the school will be asked to wear face coverings and complete contact tracing recording sheets at the main office.
- Further clarifications as issued by The Minister for Education on Friday, August 7th, stipulate that all students and teachers will be required to wear face coverings where a physical distance of 2m cannot be maintained. In this regard, students will be required to wear masks in all circumstances where a distance of 2m cannot be maintained.
- We are requesting that all students have their own supply of plain coloured face masks, which can be disposable or washable. Face masks are widely available and advice about the types of facemasks recommended can be found via the HSE website and on our website. We request that students refrain from wearing face masks that depict any imagery on them that may cause offence to others.
Lockers / Schoolbooks
Given that lockers will precipitate a congregation of students before/during and after school, Lockers will not be made available for student use this academic year. Alternative arrangements will be devised to reduce the amount of books etc that students are carrying. e.g publishing of resources to google drive etc. Specific details will be worked out with individual teachers on return to school.
Way to Pay
All parents will be actively encouraged to use the Way 2 Pay online payment platform to facilitate payments and collection of monies. If you need assistance in this regard please contact the office 061-397700 or email email@example.com
Full uniform must be worn at all times. This includes black shoes and school jackets only.
Students will be required to wear PE uniform (School PE Uniform Only) on the day of scheduled PE classes. This is a requirement as changing facilities are not available. PE uniform is a requirement for all year groups for the 2020/2021 year.
Students will be encouraged and expected to follow the health advice regarding hand sanitation, respiratory etiquette, etc. Requirements in this regard will be clearly communicated to all students from the beginning of the year.
Hand sanitiser dispensers will be deployed in every teaching space, assembly areas and entry points of the school campus. All students will be required to use hand sanitiser when entering the campus in the morning and when entering every teaching space throughout the school day.
Wash hand basins, hot running water, liquid soap and hand drying facilities are provided in all toilets and kitchens.
The Canteen facilities will be available to all students. Procedures and details will be explained on your child’s first day back at school. Students will be able to purchase lunch using cashless/contactless fobs. Our Canteen will operate as a pick and go service only. Staggered breaks and lunch periods will be introduced for Year Groups to minimise queuing and maximise access to canteen. Canteen facilities will be clearly marked with physical distancing signage. All students will be required to cooperate with all safety measures implemented.
Cleaning - Student desks/spaces
Student classrooms will have appropriate cleaning products provided to enable students to wipe down their desk, chair and surface on entry and before leaving the room. (A specific protocol will be developed in this regard).
It is a requirement that all students adhere to these protocols. This is part of our collective responsibility to maintain a COVID free and safe environment for all.
Additional cleaning materials and equipment will be available in every teaching space. Any student found to be interefering with or misusing these safety products and equipment will be subject to immediate sanction.
Students will be class based where possible. This will limit the movement of students around the school. Teachers will move. Year Groups will be assigned in designated pods/zones in the school campus.
Every effort has been made to ensure 1m Physical distancing between students in classroom layouts (in line with the department of Education Roadmap (July 2020).
Queuing systems have been implemented in specific areas throughout the camous. Students are asked to comply with queuing systems that have been put in place. These will be communicated in detail to students on their return.
To ensure safety for all, perspex screens have been placed in front of all teachers’ desks.
- 2m Distancing will be clearly marked on all external areas. Masks may be removed in areas where students can be 2m or more apart.
News - School Updates
In addition to our school website, please follow our school updates and activities on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
High Street, Croom, Co. Limerick
Tel: +00 353 61 397700
The contents of Coláiste Chiaráin's web pages are provided as an information guide only.